The fun thing about making roast beef at home is you can impart it with whatever flavor you want! I’m so excited to share my roast beef rub recipe.
If you’ve ever cooked an eye of round beef roast before, it can be a tough cut of meat. Eye of round is from a tough part of the cow, that works hard and is extra lean. The wonderful part of eye of round, is that you can make a terrific roast beef with it, and it’s a cheap cut!
When it comes to preparing a great eye of round, you want to have a great roast beef rub recipe! That’s where I come in! Let’s get cooking!
The way to bake an eye of round is very unique but it works. You bake it at 500 degrees for a short time and then turn the oven off. It’s fairly fool proof but I have some notes below to help you get it right!
The Roast Beef Rub Recipe
Roast Beef Rub Recipe with Eye of Round
Yield 6 People
Take an inexpensive cut of meat and make it SHINE!
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano (measure after chopped)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon smoked salt – I get all my spices from Gneiss Spice Company
- 2 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 2-3 tablespoons brown mustard
- Eye of round roast
- Weigh your roast, you need this information for the correct cooking time. Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees.
- Brush a thin layer of mustard all around the roast.
- Mix your spices together in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle all the spices on your roast. I used ALL my rub on my 3.5 pound roast.
- Cook your roast in an uncovered dutch oven or roasting pan.
- You need to cook your roast for 7 minutes per pound and then you turn the oven off! You leave the roast in the oven WITHOUT opening the door for 2 and a half hours. I know it sounds crazy but that is how you get the nice spiced crust and a tender center. Literally perfect roast beef! After the 2.5 hours, Check the temperature I find 130 degrees is about perfect.
- Slice and serve! I use my electric knife for thin slices!
Helpful Equipment- dutch oven or roasting pan
Serving Size 4 oz
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Roast Beef Rub Recipe in Summary
- Spice liberally!
- Roast your eye of round at 500 degrees for 7 minutes per pound.
- Turn off your oven and continue to roast for 2.5.
- If you have a gas oven – consider turning the oven down to the lowest it will go, as gas ovens don’t hold the heat well. I have a gas oven, and don’t do this. I have a pizza stone in my oven, I preheat for at least 30 minutes and keep the oven light on. Just don’t open the oven!
I hope you enjoyed this roast beef rub recipe!
P.S. If you need some potatoes to go with this meat! Try my Sour Cream and Onion Mashed Potatoes!
Paid Endorsement Disclosure:
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.
However, I’m never going to recommend, or say anything that I don’t Love or completely believe in. Please rest assured that my deepest desire is to empower you to make the best choices for health and healing possible.
Our content is not intended to replace professional medical diagnosis, treatment or advice. Information obtained from this site should never cause disregard or delay seeking advice or treatment from a medical or healthcare provider. We do encourage everyone do their own research before making informed decisions. Use of any information from the content of this site solely at your own risk.