Holiday season is here! If you are looking for a make-ahead holiday breakfast that is sure to please the whole family give this recipe a shot!
In case you don’t know, strata is a layered dish that is baked like a casserole. In this case my layers are gluten free bread, cheese, bacon and ham. What holds it all together is an egg and milk mixture that soaks into the layers similar to french toast. This recipe works best if the layers and mixture come together the night before so the mixture can really soak in. The ideal rest time before baking is about 12ish hours. You can cut it down if needed to about 2, or extend it by a bit as needed. I always just make it in the evening and bake it by lunch the next day!
My version of breakfast strata has a fun, sweet and savory twist that is very fall-flavored!
Breakfast Strata Recipe
- 6 slices of your favorite gluten free cinnamon raisin bread.
- 9 strips cooked bacon
- 5-7 eggs depending on size
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 1 cup chopped ham
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- A few cracks of ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic gold
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- For a really amazing flavor you could also sub the cinnamon and nutmeg for 1 drop each of Cinnamon Bark and Nutmeg essential oils. I only use and recommend one brand on essential oils – learn more here
- Cook the 9 slices of bacon and chop into 1 inch chunks.
- Once the bacon is done, add the onion and ham to cook in the bacon grease for about 5-10 min until soft.
- In a small bowl, mix your eggs, milk, salt, pepper, garlic, cinnamon and nutmeg. Whisk until all combined and eggs are fully broken up.
- In your casserole pan, either grease it or line it with 2 sheets or parchment paper/
- Create 1 layer of bread on the bottom of the pan.
- On top of the bread add a layer using half of the bacon.
- Add half of the cooked onion, and ham and sprinkle with half of the cheese.
- Create another layer of bread, bacon, ham, onion and cheese.
- Pour the milk and egg mixture over the layers, cover with foil and place into your fridge.
- To bake, preheat your oven to 325 and bake for about 60 min, until a knife comes out clean.
- Rest for about 10 min, cut up into squares and serve!
For a really amazing flavor you could also sub the cinnamon and nutmeg for 1 drop each of Cinnamon Bark and Nutmeg essential oils. I only use and recommend one brand on essential oils – learn more here
Helpful Equipment- Parchment paper and 8X8 casserole dish
I hope you give this recipe a try and enjoy this simple make ahead holiday breakfast Strata!
P.S. Looking for some more breakfast ideas, try this green filled frittata!
Paid Endorsement Disclosure:
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.
However, I’m never going to recommend, or say anything that I don’t Love or completely believe in. Please rest assured that my deepest desire is to empower you to make the best choices for health and healing possible.
Our content is not intended to replace professional medical diagnosis, treatment or advice. Information obtained from this site should never cause disregard or delay seeking advice or treatment from a medical or healthcare provider. We do encourage everyone do their own research before making informed decisions. Use of any information from the content of this site solely at your own risk.