I am so excited about these healthy stuffed mushrooms with sausage! Keto cooking needs to be fast, easy and delicious and I have really been thinking about that when I create recipes for you these days. To that end this recipe is really special. You can have this for any meal, but it the exact same amount of time you can double, triple, or more this recipe and have meals prepped and ready to go for days when you don’t have time to cook. The best part- the recipe takes under a half hour to make!
These healthy stuffed mushrooms are delicious as the recipe is written- but if you have different stuff on hand here are a few ideas for changing things up. You can swap out ground chicken or turkey if you prefer that to pork. You can also omit the maple syrup if you like as this recipe split onto 4 mushrooms has about 6 grams of sugar.
I like the maple syrup as it makes the pork taste like breakfast sausage. To that end- you can totally use pre-made sausage for this recipe, the first time I made it I used that. Personally I have a hard time finding sausage with clean ingredients so I chose to make it from scratch, but really it is ZERO extra effort. I still have to cook the sausage, I just added salt, seasoning and maple syrup all things I had on hand.
One thing that would be delicious is to cook up some onions with the pork or even chop of the stems from the mushrooms and cook that in to. That would reduce the amount of meat you needed, or you can just buy 6 mushrooms and have a larger meal. I would say if you diced half a sweet onion and the stems of 6 mushrooms you would easily be able to fill 6 mushrooms, cutting down the cost per serving of this meal.
Struggling with your macros on keto?- here’s a link to my favorite macro calculator on the web.”
Cooking is a place to get creative, so have fun with this meal! It’s perfect for meal prep. It takes the same time to cook 1 pound of pork as 2 pounds, and then you will have extra on hand!
- 1 pound ground pork- I used 80/20 but any type will work!
- 4 large portobello mushrooms stems removed
- A drizzle of Olive oil
- 1 TBS Italian seasoning
- 1/2 TBS salt
- 1-2 TBS maple syrup depending on how sweet you like things- omit or substitute 1-2 drops of stevia for keto and low carb
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- 4-5 sage leaves finely chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 350
- In a sheet pan place your mushrooms stem side down, give them a light drizzle of olive oil and bake at 350 for ten min.
- While the mushrooms are baking- cook your ground pork.
- Add the ground pork to you pan over medium heat. I have a ceramic pan that is non-stick so I didn't need to add any cooking fat. If your pan sticks add a bit of fat first
- You will need to cook the pork for about 10 min over medium heat. In the last 2 minutes add the seasoning and salt and the maple syrup. This give the pork a little breakfast sausage flavor.
- Remove the mushrooms from the oven after ten min and flip them over carefully with tongs. Once the pork is done, scoop the meat onto the mushrooms, add a bit of the fresh sage and cheese.
- Switch your oven to broil and broil these puppies for 3 minutes. Watch them carefully to ensure they don't burn.
- Remove from the oven and serve with a fork and knife!
- If you are meal prepping- store the filled mushrooms in a tupperware with an airtight lid. I like to stop before broiling and then broil mine for about 3-5 minutes before eating so they are warm and the cheese is melty!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 stuffed mushroom
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 355
I hope you will give this healthy stuffed mushrooms a try and maybe even create your own low carb variation!
P.S. – if you loved how easy this recipe is I think you’d also love my seared broccoli recipe. Check it out!
Paid Endorsement Disclosure:
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.
However, I’m never going to recommend, or say anything that I don’t Love or completely believe in. Please rest assured that my deepest desire is to empower you to make the best choices for health and healing possible.
Our content is not intended to replace professional medical diagnosis, treatment or advice. Information obtained from this site should never cause disregard or delay seeking advice or treatment from a medical or healthcare provider. We do encourage everyone do their own research before making informed decisions. Use of any information from the content of this site solely at your own risk.