I am so excited to share what I just discovered! I wanted to make some more curd, since all the cranberry curd tarts I made last week are gone. I buy lemons in five pound bags at Costco so naturally I decided lemon curd would be on the menu! What I discovered when I was creating this healthy lemon curd recipe, was that curd is even easier to make than I thought! That’s right, you can skip the straining, the hurrying to do the steps in the right order and all that jazz! You can BLEND everything first and get a rich, creamy, smooth curd!
You do not need a high powered blender for this. I actually used my stick blender and a jar! it’s almost TOO easy!
Game changer! Now curd can be had even more often, and this is a healthy lemon curd recipe, which means no guilt! I’ve created my curd with fresh lemon juice, packed with vitamin C. Kerrygold butter from pastured grassfed cows is high in vitamin K2 and omega 3 fatty acids! I’ve also made sure to use eggs from pastured hens for their higher omega 3 content! I’ve omitted white sugar and instead used honey. Unlike white sugar the specific combination of fructose and glucose actually helps the body regulate blood sugar levels. With the protein and fats from the eggs and butter and the honey you have a very balanced and delicious curd!
Let’s get cooking!
The Healthy Lemond Curd Recipe
Healthy Lemon Curd
Make lemon curd in under 15 minute with a blender! No more strainer!
- 6 tablespoons butter- soft/room temperature
- 1/3rd cup honey- I measure mine with this liquids cup and I greased it with a little butter so I get an accurate measurement. This is a little tart, if you like things sweet increase to 1/2 cup.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg yokes
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice- this was 3-4 lemons for me. If you want a sweeter curd, you can try meyer lemons.
- 3 drops lemon essential oil
- In your blender combine the butter, honey, eggs and egg yokes. Blend
- Pour in about 1/3rd of the lemon juice and blend. Pour in the rest plus the three drops lemon essential oil and blend until smooth. At this point my mixture looked like cooked eggs in soup, almost kind of curdled. Don’t worry! If you’ve blended it well it’s going to be fine.
- Pour the curd into a cold pot and put over medium low heat. Stir continuously. You will notice that the mixture smooths out in about a minute.
- Keep stirring until the mixture coats the back of a spoon or reaches 170-175 degrees. I stick my instant read thermometer in the pot to know when it’s ready, usually about 7-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and pour the curd into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Touch the wrap to the surface so a skin does not form. Place in the fridge to chill and firm up.
- Serve! The curd should keep for at least 4 days in a covered container!
Helpful Equipment- blender or stick blender
Serving Size 1/4 recipe
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 15 g
Total Carbohydrates 27 g
Sugars 24 g
Protein 5 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Healthy Lemon Curd Recipe in Summary:
- Can be made start to finish in under 15 minutes
- Best to use fresh lemon juice with no pulp if possible
- Made with healthy ingredients, and no white sugar!
- Great for topping waffles, cakes, angle food cake and more!
**How to Get Started with Essential Oils and Cooking**
- Join my Life Essentials Facebook Group to connect with others and share tips and recipes for DIY, beauty, cleaning and much more.
- Find out how to buy essential oils at wholesale, 24% off retail prices (and get freebies from me!)
I hope you enjoyed this healthy lemon curd recipe!
P.S. if you are looking for another favorite treat, try my cranberry curd tarts!
Paid Endorsement Disclosure:
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.
However, I’m never going to recommend, or say anything that I don’t Love or completely believe in. Please rest assured that my deepest desire is to empower you to make the best choices for health and healing possible.
Our content is not intended to replace professional medical diagnosis, treatment or advice. Information obtained from this site should never cause disregard or delay seeking advice or treatment from a medical or healthcare provider. We do encourage everyone do their own research before making informed decisions. Use of any information from the content of this site solely at your own risk.