Looking to make some beef shanks in your slowcooker? Lucky you, today I have a paleo beef shank recipe just for you!
At the beginning of this summer, my husband and I purchased our first cow share. Although it was a stretch to buy all that meat at once, we saved some birthday money and finally made the leap. Now about 5 months later, we are still eating through the 1/4 cow we purchased!
Along the way we have experimented with different cuts of beef that I have never cooked before. This recipe is one I wrote just for a special cut of beef called the shank. If you don’t know what a beef shank is, it’s just a portion of the leg of the cow. You see shanks in Osso Buco but, due to their really lean nature, most gets ground. But if you use your slow cooker, you can have an all-star soup. We have utilized EVERY, LAST, SHANK with this recipe.
If you don’t have a cow share waiting for you in a freezer, it is worth seeking out a few shanks for this recipe. They are not a very expensive cut of meat and makes for a really rich and flavorful soup.
This is a slow cooker soup and the recipe is fairly hands off. But due to the caramelizing onions, it is a two step process. I make the onions around noon and then brown the shanks around 6 or 7 and let the slow cooker go all night!
Beef Shanks Slowcooker Soup- Paleo
One of the most delicious soups I've ever made!
- 2-3 Beef Shanks- Ours are about 2 inches thick
- 3 Tablespoons of cooking fat divided
- 5-6 Small white or sweet onions
- 8 cups broth or a broth water mixture. My broth was very flavorful so I used a mix of 7 cups broth and 1 cup water.
- Roughly chop all the onions. Cutting this many onions is worth pulling out your food processor if you have one.
- Place the onions in your slow cooker with 2 tablespoons of your cooking fat.
- Set your slow cook to low and cook for 6 hours.
- Check your onions at 6 hours- they should be pretty caramelized, if not let them cook another 30-60 min.
- Once the onions are done, leave them in the slow cooker while you prepare the beef.
- In your skillet, heat up your remaining cooking fat over medium heat.
- Give your beef shanks a good sprinkle of salt and pepper and set them carefully into the pan.
- Turn the Shanks after about 5-6 min a side. You want a deep brown on both sides.
- Once the shanks are browned, place them on top of the onions in your slow cooker.
- Cover with broth and/or water and re-set your cooker to low for 8 hours.
- Once your 8 hours is up, remove the beef shanks to a cutting board. Chop the meat off the bone. Return the meat and any marrow to your soup.
- Serve in a big bowl and add some cheese over the top if you can tolerate it!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge and re-heat as needed.
Helpful Equipment- skillet and slow cooker (I like a programable one like this), food processor
I hope you enjoy this slowcooker beef shank soup!
P.S. I also have a beef shank cross cut slow cooker recipe that is not soup! Check it out!
Paid Endorsement Disclosure:
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.
However, I’m never going to recommend, or say anything that I don’t Love or completely believe in. Please rest assured that my deepest desire is to empower you to make the best choices for health and healing possible.
Our content is not intended to replace professional medical diagnosis, treatment or advice. Information obtained from this site should never cause disregard or delay seeking advice or treatment from a medical or healthcare provider. We do encourage everyone do their own research before making informed decisions. Use of any information from the content of this site solely at your own risk.